Monday, September 23, 2013

DIY Bracelet Holder

DIY Bracelet Holder


After having bracelets in baskets and laying on my counters I finally did something about it. Walking down a thrift store aisle I saw a lovely mug holder, and it looked like it was in need of a makeover. So of course I decided to help it out.

For this bracelet holder I used:

  • a Wooden Mug Holder
  • Paint
  • Sand Paper
  • a Paint Brush
  • and modpdoge (or elmer's glue and water mix)

My wooden mug holder looked like this...



The first thing I did was scrub it with hot soapy water to get any dust and dirt off. Then I waited for it to dry good.




The next step is to paint it any color you want! Picking out paint is always fun. I used a light pastel coral color.

It took me four coats of paint to get the holder good and covered the way I wanted. I also let layers dry in between coats.

After letting it dry good I brought out the sand paper.




Looking at the above picture you can see where I went along the edges with sandpaper. There was really no technique to it. I just rubbed it where ever I felt it needed some wood showing. I honestly wasn't sure how it would turn out.

One thing I did notice during sanding was that as the sand paper rubbed against the paint it changed the color a bit. Some of the coral color turned to more of a yellow-orange color. I still love it though. It added some personality to it :)

The sanded spots also wanted to peel a little bit on my bracelet holder. This is where the modpodge or elmer's glue mix came into play. I used this mix to cover all of my sanded spots. It helped to hold down my paint in places where it wanted to peel.

I hope this helps you to create your own jewelry holder!
Have fun crafting!

- Crystal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment