Monday, September 2, 2013

DIY Framed Chevron Initials

DIY Framed Chevron Initials

I had so much fun putting these pieces together! I couldn't really stop and so I ended up with a little set of them I guess you'd say...


Mixing up the colors was probably the best part of this craft, and I can't get over how neat the swirled frames are. These turned out to be neat customized pieces!

Here's what I used:

  • Art Panel (the flat canvases)
  • Flat wooden frames (I purchased mine on clearance at a Michaels Craft Store)
  • Wooden letters if you'd like them (or you can paint letters)
  • A chevron guideline to follow (trace)
  • Hot glue to attach the frames
  • And I also added some paper flowers in the corners of my frames


How I did it:

  1. The first thing I did was measure and cut out a chevron pattern. For this I took a magazine cover (since the paper is thicker) and cut out an even chevron pattern. I lined up the straight edge on the magazine page and used that to guide my tracing onto my panel. I have also heard they now have  chevron painters tape.
  2. Once I had all my lines drawn I brought out the colors!
  3. It worked best to paint the light color first, and then the darker. It made it easier to cover up any messy spots. And my lines definitely did not turn out perfect :) but it helped make the pieces.
  4. I painted my frame while everything dried on the panel and also painted any wooden letters that I had. And if you don't have wooden letters you can paint your own. It worked well for me.
  5. The last step was the hot glue. I glued the frames on first. It helped me to center my letters. Then I added some flowers. I just couldn't help myself :)
I haven't added this on my other DIY posts, but a good way to hang these pieces is to add a tab to the back of the piece with hot glue. I like to use a soda can tab. Just pop it off the top next time you have a soda. I bend mine to about a 120 degree angle. Once glued on it will allow you to hang your piece onto a hook or nail through the tab hole! Tada!

Go have fun and make some chevron pieces! 

- Crystal :)


No comments:

Post a Comment