Monday, September 2, 2013

DIY Fabric Covered Magnetic Board

DIY Fabric Covered Magnetic Board

I love hanging stuff on my walls... not sure why... but it's fun to make stuff to display. I also love magnets and leaving notes for myself. I seem to forget stuff easily at times... This is how the magnetic board idea came into play.

For this DIY I needed:

  • A metal cookie pan of any shape size (whatever you like)
  • Some awesome fabric (not too thick)
  • Mod podge 
    • I used a mixture of Elmer's glue and water
  • Hot glue
  • And some rope for a border
I ended up adding the twine rope after I glued my fabric to cover my many strings. It made the project look a little neater. I doubt all fabrics unravel as bad as mine did.


I made a pair and have them hanging together :)


What I did:

  1. I started off by tracing my fabric to the correct size
  2. Once I had it cut correctly I coated the cookie pan with my mod podge mix.
  3. Smoothing out the fabric took a little while, and also got kind of messy as the glue soaked through. But no worries! It all dries clear and didn't hurt my fabric or colors.
  4. After waiting on everything to dry I heated up my hot glue gun. I went around the edges of the fabric and made sure everything was secure. 
  5. Since my cut edges were messy I also took some thick twine rope and hot glued it all the way around. I think it added a nice touch to them.
After a bunch of cutting and glueing I think these two magnetic boards turned out pretty good. And the magnets still stick! 

Have fun crafting!
- Crystal :)



No comments:

Post a Comment